The $40 billion beauty merger that fell apart over one founder

Photo: Darina Belonogova
A deal that would have reshaped your medicine cabinet is dead, and a single founder's demands appear to have been enough to kill it.
Estee Lauder and Spain's Puig announced Thursday that they have ended merger talks, walked back from what would have been a $40 billion combination of two of the biggest names in prestige beauty. The talks had only been public since March. The collapse came quickly, and the reason is striking: sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that Charlotte Tilbury, the makeup artist and founder of her namesake cosmetics brand, complicated the negotiations with demands that were too complex and, financially, made no sense to the other parties. Puig bought a majority stake in Charlotte Tilbury in 2020, meaning Tilbury's brand would have been part of the package.
Tilbury did not respond to a request for comment.
What the deal was supposed to do
The merger logic was straightforward. L'Oreal, the French company that dominates global beauty, has been pulling further ahead. In a sign of that pressure, L'Oreal recently agreed to pay $4.7 billion for the beauty arm of Kering, the luxury group that owns Gucci. Estee Lauder and Puig, sitting on strong but separately smaller portfolios, were trying to build something big enough to compete. Under one roof, the combined company would have held Tom Ford, Carolina Herrera, Rabanne, Jean Paul Gaultier, Clinique, and Charlotte Tilbury, among others.
That kind of scale matters in luxury beauty, where shelf space, department store relationships, and marketing budgets compound into structural advantages that smaller players can't easily replicate.
But scale also brings complexity, and the deal never got there.
Where Estee Lauder goes from here
Estee Lauder's stock rose about 10% in after-hours trading on Thursday, which tells you something about what investors thought of the merger risk. RBC Capital Markets analyst Nik Modi said he was "relieved" the talks ended, citing the integration risk of combining two companies of that size as something that would have weighed on the stock for a long time.
The company also has its own problems to manage. Estee Lauder has posted three straight years of annual sales declines and is losing market share. CEO Stephane de La Faverie has a turnaround plan called "Beauty Reimagined" built around heavier store investment and closing underperforming outlets, including some M.A.C and Origins counters. Earlier this month, the company raised its annual profit forecast but also said it would cut up to 3,000 more jobs globally as the restructuring accelerates.
A recent positive earnings quarter appears to have given the company enough confidence to stay independent, according to sources cited by Reuters. That matters, because Estee Lauder has historically grown through deals, including its $2.8 billion purchase of Tom Ford in 2022. The company says it will continue evaluating acquisitions and divestitures, so this is not the end of deal-making, just the end of this particular one.
The deeper story here is about where the beauty industry is in its cycle. After several years of unusually strong post-pandemic demand, growth is moderating across the sector. That slower environment is pushing brands toward consolidation, because organic growth alone is harder to find. L'Oreal is buying. Puig was willing to merge. Estee Lauder, burned by three years of declines, is now betting that its own restructuring is enough to compete without a partner.
That bet looks more credible after a decent earnings quarter. But the structural gap with L'Oreal is wide, and the luxury beauty market is not getting less competitive. The question is whether a leaner, more focused Estee Lauder can close that gap on its own, or whether it will be back at the negotiating table before long.










